Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Attack of the "Guilts"

Hi everyone....

My goal was to make a batch of brownies for my husband, and they were harder than molten lava. Instant guilt. I made up my mind to organize my office from top to bottom, and I failed miserably. Instant guilt. How about my daily quiet time? Or my exercise routine? Or my promise to stay away from anything chocolate? Instant guilt.

Ah, I know I am not alone in my battle with the "guilts." They rear their ugly head from time to time. I am a recovering "people pleaser," so the enemy really knows my Achilles heel: my constant need to please others. And guess what happens when I do not live up to other people's or my sometimes crazy expectations? You got it. GUILT. Mercy.

Wives, moms, singles, single moms, women who work outside or inside the home, retired women - it does not matter what stage of life we are in. Culture has fed us the lie that we have to "do it all" and do it well at all times. Whew! I get tired just thinking about it. And when we do not live up to society's view of how we should be, we feel dejected and defeated.

One of the most freeing verses my Christian counselor gave me years and years ago is this gem:

"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death."
--Romans 8:1-2

How is that for freeing? Christ does not condemn us because through His blood, He has set us free from sin and death if we accept Him as our Blessed Savior. Christ is already pleased with us, so we do not have to kill ourselves trying to be perfect. We just have to abide in Him, and He will abide in us. 

Are you tired of guilt being a constant visitor? Jesus came so we can be set free of guilt. Cast all of your burdens on Him because He loves you so much!

Blessings,
Lara <><


2 comments:

  1. Lara, I used to be terribly guilt ridden. It was almost as if I had to be beating myself up for something. I'm so thankful that Christ offers us complete freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God we don't have to be perfect!! Whew...what a load off my back because I am FAAAAAAR from it!! :) Thanks for the post!! LOVE IT and love you!!!
    -Cole

    ReplyDelete